Your windows protect you from the elements. They let in sunlight which is essential to your health and well-being. They filter air and keep the rooms in your home from becoming dingy. And they serve as escape routes in times of emergencies when all other exits are closed off.
Your windows play a huge role in your home. Unfortunately, they do not last forever. If your current bow windows are already a few decades old, they may already need replacing. However, broken windows, regardless of age, should also be replaced because they can prove to be hazardous.
Windows that don’t close or lock anymore could be potential entryways for burglars. And damaged windows may have leaks and are letting the cold in and the heat out, raising your electric bills. Here are 9 signs it’s time to replace your windows:
- Cracked glass. A cracked pane will eventually break, and the broken glass could potentially hurt someone. It’s best to replace it while the glass is still relatively intact and easier to remove.
- Difficult to open or close. Are your windows no longer locking properly? While these are signs that they may just need repair, assess the degree of the damage. They may need to be replaced altogether.
- Visible damage. Deterioration, chipping, and water stains are all signs of damage. Extreme temperatures and exposure to the elements can cause corrosion over time.
- Cracking or rotting window frames. Wooden window frames are exposed to moisture and can begin to warp. Moisture damage can lead to severe decay.
- Condensation. Is there fogging or condensation between the glass panes? Condensation can lead to mold, mildew, and water damage. Condensation typically happens with single-paned windows and cause structural damage if the condensation consistently builds up.
- Soundproofing. It’s likely that your window isn’t providing adequate acoustic insulation if you’re hearing outside noise even with the window closed.
- Drafts. Can you feel a draft coming in around the window? You may notice that the air around your windows feels significantly different than the rest of the house. If you’ve tried weather-stripping or caulking and it’s still drafty, your only option is to replace the window.
- Increase in your energy bill. Because older windows lack proper insulation, they may be letting in the cold or letting out the heat making your air conditioning or heating system work harder than they have to.
- Outdated design. Many homeowners decide to modernize their houses. And because windows can dramatically change the look and value of your home, old windows can ruin the overall look of a house that’s just had a fresh coat of paint and facelift.
Ultimately, some signs to replace your windows are more evident than others. And while you may think that having them repaired is the smarter and more cost-effective, repairs can only offer short-term solutions.
Are your windows showing the signs that they need to be replaced? Don’t ignore them! At 1-800-HANSONS, we have the perfect replacement windows that can be installed quickly!