Washing your new windows isn’t exactly a task that most people look forward to. This is particularly true for people who have a lot of windows in their homes. However, part of the reason why people dread it so much is because they’re approaching it all wrong.
Cleaning windows like the pros don’t involve wadded-up paper towels, rags, or newspaper and a big bucket of sudsy water. When you approach it this way, you’re basically just moving dirt from one spot to the other, wetting the surface of the window glass and attracting more dirt on it.
Here are methods of how the pros achieve those streak-free windows:
It all starts with the right tools. You should have:
- Your choice of cleaning solution: There are a lot of commercial window cleaners out there. However, choose one that you can work with. Some people find the fragrances of some too overpowering. You can also concoct your own all-natural cleaning solution if you’re worried about the chemicals in commercial window cleaners.
- Squeegee: There are different squeegees to choose from, and it’s important to pick one that feels right in your hand. If you want to clean like a pro, you may want to get one that is professional grade and has a streak-free rubber blade with rubberized comfort grip.
- Lint-free rags or small towels: These rags or towels aren’t exactly for the window and will never touch the glass. They’re actually for wiping off the squeegee.
Timing: There’s an ideal time to clean your windows. While a bright sunny day may seem ideal, it’s not as sun will get in your eyes and you’ll essentially be exposing yourself to the sun’s rays the entire you are cleaning. Cloudy days are best. However, if you can’t wait for a cloudier day, clean when the sun is not facing your windows.
Cleaning solution: Your cleaning agent of choice may require you to add the solution into a bucket of at least 2 gallons of water or it may come in a handy spritzer. Either spritz the cleaning agent on the glass or dip your squeegee into the bucket of water.
- Starting at the top corner of the glass, glide your squeegee horizontally.
- Press the squeegee blade against the glass in the upper corner. Steadily pull it across the window, careful and concentrated on keeping the top of the squeegee in contact with the top edge of the window.
- Wipe the blade with a lint-free towel that you should have conveniently within your reach such as your front pocket. Wipe it across the scrubber blade to remove dirt and excess water.
- Work your way down the window by overlapping the previous stroke with the last, pulling the squeegee across the window at an angle which will direct the excess water to drip down.
Once you’ve mastered this technique, you’ll find that window-cleaning isn’t such a taxing chore and can actually be quite calming. Studies show that people who listen to music while they work on repetitive tasks perform better, faster and in a better mood. So grab your headphones or fill the house with your favorite music to get you through your window-cleaning day.
At 1-800-HANSONS, we know about hard work and even more about windows. You want to protect your investment and we want to help. Because your windows obviously matter to you, give us a call if you are in the need of replacement windows. Let’s work together and win together!